Man Demands to Be 'Compensated' for Officiating Best Friends' Wedding Ashlyn RobinetteSeptember 16, 2025 at 4:00 AM 0 Getty Images Man officiating bride and groom's wedding (stock image) A man demanded that his two best friends pay him $150 for officiating their wedding The man cited travel costs, w...
- - Man Demands to Be 'Compensated' for Officiating Best Friends' Wedding
Ashlyn RobinetteSeptember 16, 2025 at 4:00 AM
0
Getty Images
Man officiating bride and groom's wedding (stock image) -
A man demanded that his two best friends pay him $150 for officiating their wedding
The man cited travel costs, which the bride countered he'd have to pay anyway if he were to attend the wedding as just a guest
Reddit users argued that the man was in the wrong for asking for compensation, and should have seen officiating his friends' wedding as "an honor"
A man is demanding that his best friends pay him $150 for officiating their wedding.
In a post on Reddit's "Am I the A------" forum, the man, 26, asked users on the platform if he was in the wrong for "asking to be paid" for officiating his closest friends' wedding.
The man explained that when the bride, 21, and groom, 24, made the request last year, he "obviously said "yes" because he "loves both of them" and was "honored to do it." In the months that followed, he was going through a divorce so he didn't "go over the details" of the wedding role with the couple.
Now, he's "straight up" asked them for compensation — $150 to be exact — and didn't like their answer.
"[The bride] said they weren't planning on paying me because they felt it's something I could do because I'm their best friend," the man wrote.
The man argued that while he's "happy" to have the honor, it would require him to take time off of work and drive seven hours to the venue because he lives out of state. He'd also have to pay for his own hotel and food, and purchase a suit for the wedding.
Getty Stock Images
Bride arguing with man (stock image)
"I'm not asking for full reimbursement — just some type of compensation," he said, adding, "I'm not hurting for cash. The compensation is mainly for gas."
In response, the bride countered that he'd have to do all of the things he listed anyway if he just attended the wedding as a guest.
"She goes on to say I wouldn't ask for compensation if I was a guest, and that taking off work and paying my own way is normal," the man remembered the bride telling him.
This made the man "pissed" because he believes that "they're not remotely the same thing."
"I told her they asked me to be a critical part of their wedding not just a guest," he said. "If I was a guest I wouldn't ask to be paid and I'd gladly take the hit to be there for my best friends' wedding."
The two kept going back and forth, with the bride noting that most priests only charge a script fee. Since she already wrote the script for him and he just has to read it, she "doesn't understand [his] need for compensation."
The bride also gave examples of several guests who are traveling from much farther away yet are "not complaining" about the associated costs to attend the wedding.
Hours later after the bride spoke with the groom and made the officiant "feel like s--- for asking," she "begrudgingly agreed" to pay the $150.
Getty Images
Man officiating bride and groom's wedding (stock image)
The majority of Reddit users determined that the officiant was in the wrong for demanding monetary compensation. They agreed with the bride that there isn't a difference in terms of wedding costs when it comes to attending the wedding as a guest versus an officiant.
— sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
"YTA (you're the a------). It is an honor to be asked to officiate for a friend's wedding. If anything, you could have said it is your wedding gift to them. You sound exhausting, and I would stop being friends with you after this," one person wrote, with someone else agreeing, "You've pretty much ruined this friendship."
"Asking for $150 just to stand up and officiate for an hour seems petty," another Redditor commented.
Other Redditors pointed out that many ceremony roles, such as the best man and maid of honor, never require compensation.
on People
Source: "AOL Entertainment"
Source: ShowBiz MAG
Full Article on Source: ShowBiz MAG
#LALifestyle #USCelebrities