The actress told Michael Douglas and his son Cameron that Kirk's &34;words of encouragement meant more than I can ever express.&34; Drew Barrymore tells Michael
The actress told Michael Douglas and his son Cameron that Kirk's "words of encouragement meant more than I can ever express."
Drew Barrymore tells Michael Douglas about special letter his late dad once wrote her: 'I've saved it forever'
The actress told Michael Douglas and his son Cameron that Kirk's "words of encouragement meant more than I can ever express."
By Emlyn Travis
Emlyn Travis is a news writer at* *with over five years of experience covering the latest in entertainment. A proud Kingston University alum, Emlyn has written about music, fandom, film, television, and awards for multiple outlets including MTV News, *Teen Vogue*, Bustle, BuzzFeed, *Paper Magazine*, Dazed, and NME. She joined EW in August 2022.
EW's editorial guidelines
September 13, 2025 9:00 a.m. ET
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Drew-Barrymore-Michael-Douglas-Kirk-Douglas-923-091025-d046a92dda244bfc97e3dc1030cbcc6c.jpg)
Drew Barrymore and Michael Douglas both photographed in 2024, and Kirk Douglas in 2003. Credit:
Steven Ferdman/Getty; Arnold Jerocki/WireImage; Paul Harris/Getty
Drew Barrymore is remembering the sweet letter that Hollywood legend Kirk Douglas once sent her. **
During Wednesday's episode of *The Drew Barrymore Show*, the actress told Michael Douglas and his son Cameron Douglas that the family's late patriarch, who died in 2020 at 103, once sent her a note praising one of her films. **
"Your father wrote me a note about a film I directed, and it was on his letterhead, and I have it in a frame, and I've saved it forever," Barrymore told the father-son duo, "because hearing his words of encouragement meant more than I can ever express."
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Drew-Barrymore-Cameron-Douglas-and-Kirk-Douglas-925-091025-a59515d641e543679988405f2ffc99dc.jpg)
Cameron Douglas, Drew Barrymore, and Michael Douglas.
The Drew Barrymore Show/Ash Bean
While Barrymore did not explicitly name the film that captivated Kirk, her directing credits include the 2004 TV documentary *Choose or Lose Presents: The Best Place to Start* about youth voting; the 2009 roller derby film *Whip It*, starring Elliot Page; and the music video for rock band Best Coast's 2011 single, "Our Deal."
It's not the first time that Michael has heard from others about how his late father's letters impacted them.
"It's a lost art," Douglas said. "He was very good at letter writing and supporting people and taking the time to write notes to people."
The *Wall Street *actor continued, "I hear this all the time from people. I never believed he'd write that many notes. And he meant it, you know? He just meant it very strongly."
Michael Douglas on firing Kirk Douglas from 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest': 'It wasn't easy!'
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/michael-douglas-jack-nicholson-070725-1-bc5dc51202c5426199b59b049ab37499.jpg)
Michael Douglas says 11-year-old Drew Barrymore served him at a restaurant
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Drew-Barrymore-Michael-Douglas-091025-fc17b1d601974cd084dabe5003e866ef.jpg)
And Barrymore has since given that encouragement to another member of the Douglas family: Catherine Zeta-Jones, who married Michael in 2000. When visiting the show on Monday, Zeta-Jones told Barrymore that she kept an "uplifting" voicemail from her for years.
***Sign up for **'s free daily newsletter* *to get breaking news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.*****
"You were producing a lot. You called me up about a project, but you left me the most glorious, uplifting, positive, woman-to-woman message that I kept for years and would play when I felt a little gloomy," Zeta-Jones confessed, taking Barrymore by complete surprise. "You empowered me with a feeling of, it wasn't just, 'Oh baby, oh baby, oh baby.' It was just...a beautiful, like you were talking to me as a friend, and it was very long."**
She continued, "It was a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful message, and it was just unexpectedly glorious from woman to woman because, as you know, women can be a little mean to each other."**
When Barrymore noted that they're "out to break all those stereotypes" together, Zeta-Jones responded, "We have to protect each other."**
*The Drew Barrymore Show* airs weekdays on CBS.
Source: "EW TV"
Source: ShowBiz MAG
Full Article on Source: ShowBiz MAG
#LALifestyle #USCelebrities